Skip to main content

Paul's Collage



Paul created this collage as part of his 7th grade language arts assignment, a representation of the character Jess from the novel Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.  He has been very hard at work daily for two weeks on a big deadline of a 3-part project due for this class tomorrow.  Read his accompanying narrative below.

Terabithia Collage

My collage is about Jess. I wanted to show images and words that were important to him.
I made the background look like my idea of Terabithia, with lots of trees, flowers, and nature.  I put water for the creek and a bridge over the creek since Jess builds a bridge at the end of the story to replace the broken rope swing. I also included some things that were important to Jess around the border of the collage. These were: Prince Terrien, because Jess was really proud that Leslie loved the gift he gave her; running shoes, because in the beginning Jess wanted to be the fastest in his school; and some art materials, because Jess really loves to draw and paint.
I put the word ‘COURAGE’ over Jess’s head because this is what Leslie taught Jess to have, by first racing with the boys, and then talking to Janice Avery. He really admires her for doing things even though she may be afraid to, and he really wants to be like her. At the end of the book when he needs to find his courage the most, that is when he truly understands what Leslie has taught him. In the beginning he is afraid to stand up for himself and others but Leslie teaches him to have courage.
The words inside Jess’s head signify things he’s thinking about when he hears that Leslie is dead. The word “king” is on his head like a crown because he’s the king of Terabithia. Jess’s head is a silhouette because before Leslie comes, he really has no life or personality except he wants to be fast.
I put other words on the collage because I thought these things really defined who Jess is.  In the beginning his fear and his secrets really define him but later he starts to have courage about who he is and make his own decisions about who he wants to be.

Comments

Marie F said…
Great collage! Great writing! Go, Paul, Go!!!!-M
norie and hiro said…
Impressive work, Paul! Sounds like a good read...I think the collage would make a great book cover design!
norie and hiro said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii Reunion ‘24/‘25

Sharing a little bit from our mini reunion in Hawaii.  Phots mainly. Mom arrived the day after Christmas… we took her directly to Costco so I could buy a brisket to smoke for an upcoming birthday party. Mom promptly faceplanted when we got her to the house. Morning coffee on the lanai. First (warmup) puzzle down!   Next up, Marie’s quilt puzzle!  The worlds cutest pineapple In the bamboo grove Wild Amaryllis Mom at the b-day party (55 + guests) - mom fit in with the Ohana! Our typical mornings… In the puzzle grind Drive to Waipio Lookout  Progress and a light at the end of the tunnel  Lunch in Kona (waiting for Ken and Crew) Kai and Zephyr / Joyce and Mom in the light of a lava tube  Mom learning about the Mauna Lani Fish Ponds Family Friends getting a fish pedicure. The fish liked moms toes Heading to the coast for sunset Ken and crew arrive Just in time to get their pedicures Ken and crew head off to settle into their air bnb I love the fishponds at ...
The Latest on Leia Lately, Leia has been giving names to all of her stuffed animals, dolls, and any character in a book we come across without a name. They are very creative for the most part... Today, she named her doll from Aunt Marie and Aunt Kimie " Baby Jesus "!! I guess she remembered the name from when I told her the story of Christmas and it made an impression on her. I just had to share that with you all. I'm trying my best not to explode into laughter each time she says it. :) These days, Leia likes to run to yochien, and run home from yochien, and "race" me on the bike. She is a fast runner, and barely runs out of breath, and so someday, I expect her to visit Marie and Tim for the Boston marathon! Today, she actually ran out of breath, telling me, "There is no more air in my tummy! (Onaka ni kuuki ga nakunacchatta!)" She learned a song in yochien where they use the expression "gozansu" as a sentence ending. These days, she adds it ...

Jiji's paintings

Hi all, We had a productive day at Shiki yesterday and had the estimate for the move to the storage, where we will make the final labeling and preparation for shipment to the US. We will be back there a few more times before the move to storage on the 16th, Friday. There are a few more items I'd like for you all to look at, but since I don't have all the data collected, I'll send them in batches. Here are a few of Jiji's paintings I'm wondering if anyone is interested in. Please let me know! Thanks! Norie Forest Passage (study) on canvas board, unframed (46x38) Forest Passage, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Shimoda Coast, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Still Life with Red Teapot, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Lake Nojiri (with boat), stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Chateau and Garden, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46)   Hospital Building (study), stretched canvas, unframed (32x41) Hospi...