Skip to main content
Off topic - but wanted to share with you because it's something of me worth sharing. This is a note I wrote for a friend who's mother passed away today.

-Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think it's easy to forget, most days as we go through the everyday struggles and monotony of life that there's something greater at work.

A friend of mine lost her mother today... and to her and to others who have lost someone so close, I'll never have the right words to cure or make right the feeling of loss or longing that rushes ceaselessly into the void. But I do have some beliefs and feelings that have helped me in coping with the loss of loved ones in my circles.

This is a take it or leave it note, but I wanted to get it out there just in-case.

I believe we all come from one and that all things are a part of the one. In all our differences in all our varied manifestations, living, conscious, animate, inanimate - we all share the same source. I believe that this existence - self aware human life, is confounding(!) and that for the vast majority (myself included) our purpose, our origin, our sense of connection to the one - eludes us. We spend all of our resources struggling to understand this great mystery. For all of our great collective achievements, and catastrophic colossal failures, struggles, challenges, and successes - we're still lost.

Three events happen in everyone's life that give us our strongest clues to the answers we seek, in each one pulls back the veil just a little to a world of an unbelievably overwhelming state of being - so overwhelming that at these times we can't even comprehend what we're experiencing. The three major events are - Birth, Love & Death.

I can only speak from what I know, from my own experiences (part of my human limitation/advantage/disadvantage).

At birth, you're (ideally) brought into a place of pure love, a place where your very life depends on utter selflessness and unwavering attention to your very state of helplessness. This is no accident, this is by by design. As the parent of a newborn child, we're all challenged to demonstrate a higher purpose of being than our own needs, wants and desires. To put them aside, and hold up a greater purpose to love something and someone so much more than ourselves. I've been at both ends of this now in my life and I believe this is truly a gateway to an intangible indescribable state of being the more closely connects us to our higher purpose and to the origin of our truth.

In love, (in all forms) - this veil is lifted once again. While significantly different than parenting a newborn, a familiar state of being begins to surface in ways we can't fully describe. It drives us to do things that might be considered wonderful or even crazy at times - depending on the circumstances. The feeling can so overwhelmingly take over and give you the initiative to do somethings your would probably not otherwise do. What is this? It's the same longing, desire to connect and, to the extent possible, be united (be one) - or at a minimum, be understood which is just another shade of then same thing. When you love someone - you are actually recognizing that deepest part of you in someone else - and it begins that you care for them in ways you care for yourself, what they think and how they feel, etc. This is again a gateway to our higher purpose.

In death, a deep sorrow engulfs us. We fight for answers to questions, "Why now?, What could I have done, What did they do to deserve to go now?" - In all of the "What if's", both sad and angry - this mental dance of beating against a brick wall finds no way through. It's a distraction. The truth is in the feeling, not how the mind rationalizes those feelings. The feeling is the only truth, but it's so intense, it's so overwhelming and so unbearably complex that it can feel terrible. This veil, the same veil is pulled back again, and for some, doesn't close. And you've seen the same truth at this point from all sides. The feeling is loss... the feeling is longing, a void so vast and endless so deep. While standing at the precipice of a void so vast can be like orbiting a black hole, sucking the life from you, there's a hidden truth - and a hole has been punched through the veil. The longing and loss you feel is the same desire the same higher purpose to be one... to recognize our fleeting place in the spectacle of life.

I believe that we're here to learn something completely intangible - to hold up, higher than our selves, our love for all things that are, to put before ourselves the wants and needs of others to lift up the hearts and minds of those we encounter. We do so many things that echo this challenge, other times we fail miserably this is what it means to be human and the struggle is real... but I believe the truth is always the same.

My heart goes out to my friends and family faced with one of life's most confounding challenge... I'm far from perfect and challenged and flawed as human as can be... but I have this belief that drives my strength to drive forward and I wanted to share it with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii Reunion ‘24/‘25

Sharing a little bit from our mini reunion in Hawaii.  Phots mainly. Mom arrived the day after Christmas… we took her directly to Costco so I could buy a brisket to smoke for an upcoming birthday party. Mom promptly faceplanted when we got her to the house. Morning coffee on the lanai. First (warmup) puzzle down!   Next up, Marie’s quilt puzzle!  The worlds cutest pineapple In the bamboo grove Wild Amaryllis Mom at the b-day party (55 + guests) - mom fit in with the Ohana! Our typical mornings… In the puzzle grind Drive to Waipio Lookout  Progress and a light at the end of the tunnel  Lunch in Kona (waiting for Ken and Crew) Kai and Zephyr / Joyce and Mom in the light of a lava tube  Mom learning about the Mauna Lani Fish Ponds Family Friends getting a fish pedicure. The fish liked moms toes Heading to the coast for sunset Ken and crew arrive Just in time to get their pedicures Ken and crew head off to settle into their air bnb I love the fishponds at ...
The Latest on Leia Lately, Leia has been giving names to all of her stuffed animals, dolls, and any character in a book we come across without a name. They are very creative for the most part... Today, she named her doll from Aunt Marie and Aunt Kimie " Baby Jesus "!! I guess she remembered the name from when I told her the story of Christmas and it made an impression on her. I just had to share that with you all. I'm trying my best not to explode into laughter each time she says it. :) These days, Leia likes to run to yochien, and run home from yochien, and "race" me on the bike. She is a fast runner, and barely runs out of breath, and so someday, I expect her to visit Marie and Tim for the Boston marathon! Today, she actually ran out of breath, telling me, "There is no more air in my tummy! (Onaka ni kuuki ga nakunacchatta!)" She learned a song in yochien where they use the expression "gozansu" as a sentence ending. These days, she adds it ...

Jiji's paintings

Hi all, We had a productive day at Shiki yesterday and had the estimate for the move to the storage, where we will make the final labeling and preparation for shipment to the US. We will be back there a few more times before the move to storage on the 16th, Friday. There are a few more items I'd like for you all to look at, but since I don't have all the data collected, I'll send them in batches. Here are a few of Jiji's paintings I'm wondering if anyone is interested in. Please let me know! Thanks! Norie Forest Passage (study) on canvas board, unframed (46x38) Forest Passage, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Shimoda Coast, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Still Life with Red Teapot, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Lake Nojiri (with boat), stretched canvas, unframed (38x46) Chateau and Garden, stretched canvas, unframed (38x46)   Hospital Building (study), stretched canvas, unframed (32x41) Hospi...