Quilt 'til you drop!
Here is a progress report on Norie's baby quilt... I'm taking a break for my aching bleeding fingers and have had an "Ah Hah" experience.
Now I know why My mother made quilts for her grandchild's second birthday.
On tuesday afternoon, I met with Norie and Hiro to pick up the soft organic cotton to be used on the reverse side of the quilt. It is a greenish beige gingham and what it lacks in beauty it more than makes up for in other aspects.
Wednesday I moved the livingroom furniture aside and de-haired the carpet. I laid out the quilt top, the first time I have had an opportunity to see it flat other than holding it up by the corners. Horrors! It did not lie flat. At any rate, I got out the roll of thinsulate left from other projects and unwound it from the roll. Second shock. The amount left on the roll was not as much as I had thought from looking at it rolled up. I spread it out on the top and with careful piecing could just cover the quilt with a 8 by 10 leftover... inches, that is!
Next I pieced the backing and spread it out on the carpet. I put the batting on top and spread the quilt top over all. Groan! It was nich and square on the border but the hexagon stars with their bias edges were all puffy. Oh, what to do? I really couldn't see myself taking the whole thing apart and doing it over so I forged onward with my basting thread. I basted the border first. Then I crawled over the top patting and arranging and basting the lumpy hexagons as best I could. By the time evening came I was completely discourged. This will be the worst quilt I have ever made. My reputation as a quilting Granny will be ruined!
I got out the largest hoop I own and decided to begin with the worst lumps. I streatched it out in the hoop and it wasn't too bad. After quilting that area in the ditch I moved the hoop along and did another section. Hmm, I thought I started with the worst part but perhaps I was mistaken. I moved the hoop again. Yes, I'm sure the horse block was in the worst part. No, it is not a problem. When things looked a little puckery I pulled out the basting thread on that part and eased in the stitches. Now the center is almost finished. Perhaps this weekend I will get to the border. The hundreds of one-inch squares are a bit puckery in places but if the inner area can be made to lie flat, I'm optimistic that it will turn out after all.
I remember telling my quilting students not to worry, that fabric is forgiving. I'll say it is! On the other hand, If I ever try another hexagon quilt, send me to the loony bin.
Mom
Here is a progress report on Norie's baby quilt... I'm taking a break for my aching bleeding fingers and have had an "Ah Hah" experience.
Now I know why My mother made quilts for her grandchild's second birthday.
On tuesday afternoon, I met with Norie and Hiro to pick up the soft organic cotton to be used on the reverse side of the quilt. It is a greenish beige gingham and what it lacks in beauty it more than makes up for in other aspects.
Wednesday I moved the livingroom furniture aside and de-haired the carpet. I laid out the quilt top, the first time I have had an opportunity to see it flat other than holding it up by the corners. Horrors! It did not lie flat. At any rate, I got out the roll of thinsulate left from other projects and unwound it from the roll. Second shock. The amount left on the roll was not as much as I had thought from looking at it rolled up. I spread it out on the top and with careful piecing could just cover the quilt with a 8 by 10 leftover... inches, that is!
Next I pieced the backing and spread it out on the carpet. I put the batting on top and spread the quilt top over all. Groan! It was nich and square on the border but the hexagon stars with their bias edges were all puffy. Oh, what to do? I really couldn't see myself taking the whole thing apart and doing it over so I forged onward with my basting thread. I basted the border first. Then I crawled over the top patting and arranging and basting the lumpy hexagons as best I could. By the time evening came I was completely discourged. This will be the worst quilt I have ever made. My reputation as a quilting Granny will be ruined!
I got out the largest hoop I own and decided to begin with the worst lumps. I streatched it out in the hoop and it wasn't too bad. After quilting that area in the ditch I moved the hoop along and did another section. Hmm, I thought I started with the worst part but perhaps I was mistaken. I moved the hoop again. Yes, I'm sure the horse block was in the worst part. No, it is not a problem. When things looked a little puckery I pulled out the basting thread on that part and eased in the stitches. Now the center is almost finished. Perhaps this weekend I will get to the border. The hundreds of one-inch squares are a bit puckery in places but if the inner area can be made to lie flat, I'm optimistic that it will turn out after all.
I remember telling my quilting students not to worry, that fabric is forgiving. I'll say it is! On the other hand, If I ever try another hexagon quilt, send me to the loony bin.
Mom
Comments