January 16, 2007 - Snow in Portland, school canceled!
Hi everyone,
Well, there was white stuff coming out of the sky this morning when we woke up. Since we seldom get snow in Portland, it can bring the whole city to stand-still when it does happen. We were pretty surprised when the news reported that Portland Public Schools were open with no delays. They changed their minds close to 8AM, and we all spent the day playing in the snow!
We are lucky enough to live near a big hill so we did not have to drive anywhere to spend all morning and afternoon sledding, with a short break for lunch!


Kimie joined us for the afternoon session and stayed for dinner which was fun. Especially for me, since Lucien left for the east coast on Saturday morning, and this was my 4th day alone with the kids. School is canceled for tomorrow also, so it looks like we'll have more time to play. If the kids don't go back to school Thursday, I guess I'll have to take them to the grocery store with me (not my favorite way to shop) because we'll be pretty low on food by then.
The boys had so much fun today in the snow, not even once complaining about too-tight boots. I want to go buy them new snow boots right away. I feel guilty that I haven't outfitted them properly for the snow. (Paul is wearing borrowed snow pants in this photo.) But since the weather here is usually so mild in the winter and it snows so infrequently, it is tempting to try chance it without buying a pair of winter boots they may wear only once...
Working backwards, here are a few more photos of our last couple weeks:
Paul and Ben in their new happi coats, Christmas presents from Jiji and Grandma - thank you!

On Saturday Jan 13, we went to a new year celebration at the Portland Japanese Garden. There was not much going on there, and the kids had lots of energy, so we didn't stay long.

Kimie's new hat I knit with yarn she purchased:

Lego-mania at our house.

I've noticed that the extended periods of high volume activity in our house have been punctuated by occasional silence and this is the reason:


These days, in case you are planning on addressing the boy in the photos above as anything but "Luke Skywalker," you can count on being ignored.
New Year's dinner of seki-han (which turned out too mushy -- I will have to practice some more!) and ozoni (the only traditional Japanese new year's foods I could think of that have no soy and no refined sugar), and grilled trout, and of course sparkling cider! We cooked our own red beans, sweetened with unrefined sugar to have with our mochi.

New Year's day was too wet and miserable for our usual hiking or birding excursion, but fortunately Lucien was astute enough to find out that it was the final day of the big Star Wars exhibit at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. What a memorable way to spend new year's day!

Hi everyone,
Well, there was white stuff coming out of the sky this morning when we woke up. Since we seldom get snow in Portland, it can bring the whole city to stand-still when it does happen. We were pretty surprised when the news reported that Portland Public Schools were open with no delays. They changed their minds close to 8AM, and we all spent the day playing in the snow!
We are lucky enough to live near a big hill so we did not have to drive anywhere to spend all morning and afternoon sledding, with a short break for lunch!


Kimie joined us for the afternoon session and stayed for dinner which was fun. Especially for me, since Lucien left for the east coast on Saturday morning, and this was my 4th day alone with the kids. School is canceled for tomorrow also, so it looks like we'll have more time to play. If the kids don't go back to school Thursday, I guess I'll have to take them to the grocery store with me (not my favorite way to shop) because we'll be pretty low on food by then.
The boys had so much fun today in the snow, not even once complaining about too-tight boots. I want to go buy them new snow boots right away. I feel guilty that I haven't outfitted them properly for the snow. (Paul is wearing borrowed snow pants in this photo.) But since the weather here is usually so mild in the winter and it snows so infrequently, it is tempting to try chance it without buying a pair of winter boots they may wear only once...
Working backwards, here are a few more photos of our last couple weeks:
Paul and Ben in their new happi coats, Christmas presents from Jiji and Grandma - thank you!

On Saturday Jan 13, we went to a new year celebration at the Portland Japanese Garden. There was not much going on there, and the kids had lots of energy, so we didn't stay long.

Kimie's new hat I knit with yarn she purchased:

Lego-mania at our house.

I've noticed that the extended periods of high volume activity in our house have been punctuated by occasional silence and this is the reason:


These days, in case you are planning on addressing the boy in the photos above as anything but "Luke Skywalker," you can count on being ignored.
New Year's dinner of seki-han (which turned out too mushy -- I will have to practice some more!) and ozoni (the only traditional Japanese new year's foods I could think of that have no soy and no refined sugar), and grilled trout, and of course sparkling cider! We cooked our own red beans, sweetened with unrefined sugar to have with our mochi.

New Year's day was too wet and miserable for our usual hiking or birding excursion, but fortunately Lucien was astute enough to find out that it was the final day of the big Star Wars exhibit at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. What a memorable way to spend new year's day!

Comments
For everyone- I have added some sidebar links- Luc's work website, Julie's Portland Taiko, and the clickable link for buying products through the Opal store link. Don't buy from Amazon unless you go through this! It is the SAME price, AND it makes money for Opal School! -M
Julie, you should've been a comedian - I love your comments! :) Those pictures are so great...the legomania one is particularly hilarious. wish i could join marie this weekend! please send kisses all around!
Love from DC!
-Jon
The boys must have enjoyed the Star Wars exhibit. It looks like they are on the set.
I think I would have enjoyed a bit of that snow. I subbed wednesday and all we got was cold rain and wind.It's been a long time since I looked at my watch so frequently!
Mom