Skip to main content

Fukuda Summer in Colorado

Well, the evenings are finally starting to cool and we’ve had a few small hail storms come through. While we have a month plus left of summer sun, the signs are lining up for an incoming fall.

I’m sure you’ve all had interesting summers with the growing threat of COVID, local businesses closing down, some for good...  I’ve seen a few of my favorite restaurants call it quits after being shut down for so long.  The way it works here is that any restaurant serving dine-in need to leave 50% of the room for social distance, which means (at best) 50% revenue... which is a tough thing to sustain. In this context, my family has a lot to be thankful for... primarily that Maria and I chose an industry that was not negatively impacted by these COVID times.

We’ve spent the bulk of this summer taking care of random projects around the house, building our elevated veggie beds, and enjoying our time together as a family.

We were lucky to have Ben Kress come stay with us for a few weeks.  They went by quick!  We had planned to get up into the mountains to camp, but those plans kinda fell apart... but we did manage to get out on some standup paddleboards and we took a 6.5 - 7-mile hike - which tuckered Ben out, but he was the first one up and down! 









While he was here, Maile showed off her Bi Bim Bap and Kim Bap making skills and Ben manned our Kalbi and Bulgogi on the grill.


We ate well!


Now I’m just sitting quietly on my back patio enjoying the quiet.  I snapped some photos so you can all visit in your minds.  Miss you all, love you and wish you were here!

 


 






I’m most proud of the oversized pots we planted - they’re showing off - big time - and have gotten a lot of action from hummingbirds. 

Much love,
Jon

Comments

Marie F said…
Wow, looks like that was a fun visit, and so glad Ben got to spend time with you all. Jon, your yard and house look amazing, and those large pots are gorgeous. I like your pergola and how everything looks - what a beautiful spot that must be to spend time. Love, Marie
Julie Fukuda said…
So nice to get a virtual visit. Your potted plants look almost like a touch of Hawaii. I love your wide garden space and the pictures of your outing. Nice meal with that table full of lefties!
Jon Fukuda said…
Thanks Marie! We had a great time with Ben! He fits right in! Yes! I love sitting outside with my coffee in the morning!
Jon Fukuda said…
Ha! Thanks Mom! Yes we shoot to keep it as tropical as we can get it considering we’re in the high desert plains! And yes... in this house, the lefties rule!
Kimie Fukuda said…
Hi I hope this comment isn’t a replica of the two others I’ve tried to send! Jon, Maria what a ton of work you’ve put into making your home so beautiful! The planters are stunning Jon! Hummingbirds are fun! It looks like you all made the most of your time together, I love the photos of the hike and the food too! Great times great people! Gotta get there to see you all, so much beauty! The raised beds look great too can’t believe on Mother’s Day you wer still building them!!